Edward Evans 209-763-2779 (Office)  209-304-9699 (Cell)

Sierra Wine Country Weddings
Edward Evans, Wedding Officiant & Videographer

Wedding License:

You DO NOT have to be a resident of California to apply for a marriage license there.

You DO NOT have to apply for a marriage license in the County you are to be married in.

You DO NOT have to get a blood test to marry in California

A license is valid for 90 days, and is only good in the State of California.

Making an appointment is highly recommended to avoid having to wait in a long line.

For previous marriages, you must bring proof of death or annulment. Only original court paperwork is acceptable.

Fees and requirements vary from county to county. Call to ensure you have the proper information before traveling to the County office.

You will need to know the city and state your parents were born in, in addition to your mothers maiden name.

Other Important Wedding Information:

The marriage certificate: You cannot legally begin the name change process until you receive your marriage certificate in the mail after your wedding ceremony. It is recommended that you request certified copies of your marriage certificate to mail out for your name change (photocopies are generally not accepted). Call the courthouse/office where your marriage certificate was issued and ask them to send you three certified copies.

The Honeymoon: It is important that you make all your honeymoon travel arrangements using your MAIDEN name. Your passport, drivers license and credit cards will be in your maiden name, which will need to match the travel document and reservations you made before the wedding.

Your employer, family and friends: It is a good idea to notify your job of your name change so they can change your email address and order new business cards. And let your family and friends know you plan on changing your name so they know how to address any gifts and monograms to the happy couple.

Start with your Social Security Card because you will need it changed first before you can change your drivers license. Once your Social Security form is submitted, it will take approximately 10-14 business days for your new card to arrive in the mail.

Social Security Card Form

In Person:
Bring your completed form, your current Social Security card and a certified copy (or original) of your marriage certificate to your
Local Social Security Office.

By Mail:
Mail your completed form, your current SS card* and a certified copy* of your marriage certificate to your local Social Security Office.

Changing you name on your drivers license or ID card can’t be done online and must be done in person. Make sure you bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate to prove your new name and your current drivers license. Prepare to have a new picture taken and to update your address if needed.

And if you have a car, ask about how to change your vehicle title and registration to your new married name.

If you plan on traveling outside the United States, you will need to update your name on your current U.S. Passport book or card.

If you have had your current passport for LESS THAN 1 YEAR, use this form:
U.S. Passport DS-5504 Form

If you have had your current passport for MORE THAN 1 YEAR, use this form:
U.S. Passport DS-82 Form

Mail the completed form, your current passport*, a certified copy of your marriage certificate*, two current passport-approved color photos* and any applicable fees to the National Passport Processing Center.

Once the Social Security Administration has processed your name change, they will notify the IRS of the change within 10 days.

If you have moved as a result of getting married, you need to complete IRS Form 8822 to ensure your tax paperwork is sent to the correct address.

IRS 8822 Form

Have you moved or are planning on moving as a result of getting married?

Make sure to change your address with the United States Postal Service to you continue to get your mail. You can change your address online for a $1.00 “convenience fee” with a valid credit card.

USPS Change Address Website

Or skip the online fee and go to the post office and fill out a change of address form.

Find a nearby Post Office

In order to be eligible to vote in the next elections, you will need to change your name on your current voter registration.

If you’re not registered to vote already and want to be, fill out the same form below and send it in.

Be sure to check the state instructions for the state you live in on pages 3-20 of the form for detailed instructions and the mailing address to send the voter registration form.

U.S. Voter Registration Form

After you have filed your federal and state forms, you can begin notifying your local institutions. Simply send a letter, call or go online to change your name with the following types of companies and important organizations you may be affiliated with.

Credit Card Companies
Notify your credit card companies and ask that they send you updated credit cards reflecting your new married name.

Show your employer a photocopy of your marriage certificate. Ask your employer to update your 401k or retirement plan and medical insurance. Also, request new business cards if needed.

College or University
Call or visit your school to update your name. Some institutions may require your updated social security card and/or driver’s license.

Bank Accounts, Mortgage and Loans
Call your banks and ask for your records to be updated. Request a new ATM card be sent and don’t forget to order new checks.

Update your medical insurance first and then send a letter or call your physicians to notify them of your name change.

Insurance Agencies
Call all insurance agencies you may hold policies with to notify them of your name change. Examples of this include: automobile, home, disaster, renters, medical and life. Ask for new insurance cards and/or updated policies to be sent to you.

Professional License or Organization
Call or write your professional licenses to notify of your name change.

Utility Companies
Call your utility companies and request to have your accounts changed to your new name. Examples of this include: phone, cable, internet, gas, electric, water, sewer, garbage and home owners associations.

Membership or Club
Call or write any clubs or memberships you may hold and notify them of your name change. Request new identification cards be sent if applicable. Examples of this include: gym/health club, AAA, frequent flyer programs, school alumni associations, sorority or fraternity, library card, video rental membership, school ID, unions and magazine subscriptions.



Website Builder